SAP CalculationsSAP Assessments & EPCs

Find out how Vision Energy can take care of all your compliance needs for your new Build Project

Find out more about SAP Calculations

Conversion SAP CalculationsSAP Assessments & EPCs

Vision Energy can take care of your energy assessments for your conversion project, find out more today

Find out more about Conversion SAP Calculations

Extension SAP CalculationsSAP Assessments & EPCs

All Extensions with 25% or more glazing compared to the floor area require SAP & EPC assessment and calculations, find out more

Find out more about Extension SAP Calculations

Sound Insulation Testing
in Accordance to Building Regulations Part E

Building Regulations Part E requires sound insulation testing to ensure that the partition wall & floors meet the required standards for sound insulation. Vision Energy have worked on a huge number of projects across the UK to design and test in accordance to Building Regulations Part E. Get in touch with our team today to discuss your design or testing needs.

What is sound insulation testing?

Sound insulation testing is carried out to determine the reduction of sound through partition wall and floors of neighbouring properties. Building Regulations Part E have set out minimum reductions for both airborne and impact sound through floor and wall partitions that indicate that the sound reduction is to an adequate level for the desired building use.

Predominantly, sound insulation testing is carried out between residential dwellings, below are the levels set out in Building Regulations Part E for residential dwellings.


New Build Residential Dwellings

Airborne Sound Insulation (DnTw+Ctr)

Walls & Floors – 45dB

Impact Sound Insulation (LnTw+Ctr)

Floors – 62dB

Get The
Latest News

HIRING: Sustainability Consultant (Building Physics) Role

Posted14th November 2023

Continue Reading

Meeting The London Plan Energy Statement Requirements: A Guide to Planning Compliance

Posted12th September 2023

Continue Reading

Understanding PSI Values

Posted12th June 2023

Continue Reading

Sustainability & Building Compliance

Vision Energy are a leading Sustainability & Energy consultancy working nationwide. We specialise in calculations & reports covering Building Regulations, Planning Permission and all other sustainability or energy needs within the construction sector. With a vast amount of knowledge and experience having worked on thousands of projects across the UK one of our engineers would be more than happy to assist you on your project. SAP Calculations | SBEM Calculations | Energy Statements | BREEAM Pre-Assessments | M&E Design | EPC's | Water Efficiency | Air Permeability

Talk to Our Technical Team

Get a Quick Quote

Change of Use Residential Dwellings

Airborne Sound Insulation (DnTw+Ctr)

Walls & Floors – 43dB

Impact Sound Insulation (LnTw+Ctr)

Floors – 64dB

What are the requirements for Sound Insulation Testing

Sample testing must be carried out of the walls and floors of the development to ensure that the above standards are met. A minimum of one test must be undertaken between the floors and walls of one bedroom and one living area. If the dwellings do not have party floors, then only party walls must be tested.

One set of test consists of the below;

  • 2x Airborne wall tests
  • 2x Airborne floor tests
  • 2x Impact floor tests

Building Regulations Part E states that a minimum of one set of tests should be carried out for every 10 dwellings, therefore 10 dwellings would require one set of tests, 20 dwellings two sets of test and so forth.

How is the testing carried out?

Sound Insulation Testing is carried out using sound level meters and dodecahedron speakers to emit pink noise at approximately 100dB, the sound level meter is then used to take readings of source and receiver rooms to determine the reduction of sound. along side this, additional reverberation measurements and background measurements are taken to ensure the readings are through the partition only.

Impact testing is conducted using a tapping machine to replicate impact on the room above the receiving room, the sound level meter is then used to determine the reduction in impact sound from the floor partition.


Next day certification is available for our sound insulation testing, the reports provided will be everything required to satisfy Building Control as long as all of the tests have met the standard in Building Regulations Part E. 

How To Get Your Sound Testing Booked

If you are looking to get a quotation or book your sound testing with Vision, either give one of our technicians a call on 01625 315040 or send across an email to